In a survival situation where food is limited anything that can be caught is food. Squirrels are no exception. Squirrels can provide a much-needed source of nutrition. The sooner you skin the squirrel the easier it will be. Skin the squirrel and remove the entrails quickly to prevent spoilage of the meat and promote cooling.
Here are some tips on how to prepare the squirrel after it is killed. Bass Pro Shops has a handy print out card with step by step instructions.
- Sharp Knife
- Catfish Skinners
- Gut Hook
- A flat work surface such as a table, rock, or stump
- Cooler with ice
- Ziplock bags
- Clean Water
- Lay the squirrel on a flat work surface belly down.
- Lift the tail.
- Find the anus and cut through to the tailbone. Do not cut the tail completely off.
- Slice down each back leg just enough to create a flap of skin.
- Peel the skin back and cut as you go. Make sure not to cut the meat.
- Step on the tail with the heel of your boot and pull off the skin almost like removing a winter coat inside out.
- Pull the leg skin clean off.
- Cut the head off.
- Break the legs off.
- Use the catfish skinner to remove the skin from the hind legs.
- Insert the knife at the pelvis and gently cut towards the neck.
- Place a finger on either side of the knife. Pull the skin up and away from guts. Careful not to cut into the guts as this could spoil the meat.
- Remove the entrails from the chest cavity.
- Pull out the organs and the esophagus.
- Cut off the genitals.
- Cut through the pelvis and rinse out any droppings with water.
- Put the squirrel on in a ziplock bag to prevent contamination.
- Store in an ice cooler.
Now that you have prepared your squirrel here are a few recipes for a yummy squirrelly dinner.
- 2 large squirrels
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of water
- Cut the squirrel into 1-inch pieces
- Add salt and pepper to season the meat
- Coat the pieces in the flour
- Heat the oil in a skillet until hot
- Fry the squirrel cubes in the hot oil
- Remove the oil and meat from the skill
- Pour the water into the skillet and add the meat
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour
Oven Fried Squirrel
- 1 squirrel
- 4 eggs
- Olive oil
- Vegetable oil
- Pat the meat dry
- Dip the squirrel in the egg
- Combine breadcrumbs with the flour
- Coat the squirrel in breadcrumb mixture
- Cover a skillet with butter, olive oil, and vegetable oil
- Brown the meat for about 20 minutes
- Place the squirrel in a baking pan
- Pour the oil from the skillet over the squirrel
- Bake at 375*F for 1 hour
Photo Credit: https://www.boisdale.co.uk/blog/there-are-many-ways-to-skin-a-squirrel/