It is that time of year again, pumpkin season is in full swing. Time to carve and decorate all the pumpkins, but what are you suppose to do with all those pumpkin seeds? Here are ten creative recipes for pumpkin seeds.
- Pumpkin Seed Crusted Trout--Make fish more interesting with pumpkin seeds. Crush pumpkin seeds in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Chop cilantro finely. Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Removed small bones from fish and season with salt and pepper. Dip the flesh side in flour, then egg, and finally seeds. Cook in a skillet with oil seed side down for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook for 3 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Keep warm while making the sauce. Boil wine and lime juice until reduced by half. Add butter pieces one at a time and whisk in. Remove from heat, and add cilantro and salt.
- Green Bean Salad with Pumpkin Seed Dressing--Try a healthy fall salad. Toast pumpkin seeds in a skillet until puffed, not browned. Allow the seeds to cool. Puree the seeds, set aside 1 tablespoon. Blend the seeds with garlic, cilantro, oil, water, cumin, salt and lemon juice until smooth. Boil green bean in salt water until tender. Drain and ice to stop the cooking process. Plate bean and drizzle the dressing on top. Add tomatoes and the remaining cilantro and pumpkin seeds.
- Savory Pumpkin Hummus--Need a festive spread? Blend lemon juice, tahini, salt, and garlic until smooth. Add olive oil and garbanzo beans, blend until smooth. Add cayenne pepper, cumin, and pumpkin and blend. Chill for 2 hours. Mix in pumpkin seeds and top with paprika.
- Spiced Pumpkin Seeds--A spicy innovation on a traditional favorite. Rinse pumpkin seeds with water. Toss seeds with lemon juice, sea salt, and cayenne pepper. Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 12 minutes. Stir and continue baking for another 10 to 12 minutes.
- Pumpkin Seed Brittle--Perfect for pumpkin lovers. Boil sugar, water, sea salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring for 10 to 12 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool and crystallize. Pour over roasted pumpkin seeds. Flatten on a cookie sheet. Cool completely then break and serve.
- Pumpkin Seed Pesto--Spice up your favorite pasta or sandwiches with pumpkin pesto. Roast pumpkin seeds in the oven with salt and olive oil for 10 to 15 minutes. Blend seeds with water, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill.
- Pumpkin Butter--Love peanut butter, but have a nut allergy? Try this new fall favorite. Blend 3 cups of pumpkin seeds in a food processor for 30 minutes. Nuts and seeds can be hard on the food processor. Careful not to overheat the butter.
- Pepita Rice Pudding--Where is the rum? Microwave raisins and rum for 3 minutes. Saute pumpkin seeds, salt, and butter in a skillet until golden brown. Combine raisin-rum mixture with a tablespoon of brown sugar. This makes a great topping for traditional rice pudding.
- Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Pumpkin Seeds--A sweet treat for cozy fall fun. Mix pumpkin seeds, melted butter, cinnamon, granulated sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Spread evenly on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Rosemary Garlic Pumpkin Seeds--Try this new variation on a classic. Toss seeds with olive oil and rosemary, thyme, sage, and garlic salt. Spread thinly on a cookie sheet and bake at 275*F for 1 hour.
What do you do with your extra pumpkin seeds?
Photo Credit: https://thegourmandmom.com/tag/pumpkin-seeds/